New installation? Read ‘New theme installation‘.
If you have a previous theme (with or without options module) installed, then you need to follow the steps below when upgrading to a newer version:
- Backup your website (this is always a good behavior before changing anything on your server).
- Delete the complete theme folder from the directory themes.
- If you are using the theme options module then you need to delete this folder too from the directory modules_v3.
- Unzip the release package into your webtrees root directory. The theme files will be added to the themes directory and the theme options module will be added to the modules_v3 directory.
- Upload the theme files into your webtrees/theme directory and the theme options module files to your webtrees/module_v3 directory.
- Optional: Activate the theme options module from the module administration section in your webtrees control panel.
- Click here for more information about upgrading modules.
Do not just overwrite the old theme and module files because it can cause instability.
If your zip file contain either the theme files or the theme option files you probably have downloaded a development version. Only the release version contains both. Regarding the theme options module, only the release version contains all compiled language files.